Many of the trails featured on this site start, end or pass through land owned by organisations whose role is to protect the countryside and historic buildings of Britain.
An easy way to support their excellent work is to become a member. This will not only make you feel more wholesome but will also give you access to the thousands of sites and attractions across the country and allow you to park for free, a reason in itself to join if you are a regular walker or cyclist.
The National Trust
The National Trust is Britain's largest conservation organisation, caring for 300 historic houses, 700 miles of spectacular coastline and over 600,000 acres of beautiful countryside. It has been conserving the nation's treasures for over a hundred years and is a charity that receives no direct support from government.
Membership benefits include:
- Unlimited entry to hundreds of historic houses, beautiful gardens and country parks
- Free car parking at most National Trust countryside, woodland and coastal car parks
- A handbook with full details of National Trust properties
- The National Trust Magazine – published three times a year with news, views, articles, features, gardening tips and letters
- Regional newsletters covering events and activities in your area
The National Trust does not cover Scotland, although membership does allow free entry to properties owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
The English Heritage exists to protect and promote England's spectacular historic environment and ensure that its past is researched and understood. Looking after over 400 historic properties, with 11 million visitors each year, it acts as a champion for heritage, maintaining a register of England's most important historic buildings, monuments and landscapes.
With English Heritage annual membership you can explore over 400 castles, stately homes, ruins and more for free! Membership offers a great value way for the whole family to enjoy exciting days out all year round. As a member of English Heritage you'll also be helping us to safeguard our heritage for the future.
Membership benefits include:
- Free entry to all English Heritage properties
- Free entry for up to six accompanying children (under 19) per member within the family group
- Free or reduced price entry to 100s of special events
- Exclusive members' magazine Heritage Today which includes members' book offers and a full quarterly events' list
- Free or reduced price entry to over 100 associated attractions
- A range of exclusive members' events including behind the scenes tours and meet the experts
- Free English Heritage Handbook
- Plus a selection of English Heritage offers
The organisation is sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and it also relies heavily on the income that is generated from visitors and memberships to reinvest in the upkeep and maintenance of these precious national assets and to improve public access and education.